- ▪ Overview JoSAA Counselling 2023
- ▪ JoSAA Counselling Dates and Important Events
- ▪ JoSAA Counselling Procedure Online Registration and Choice Filling
- ▪ Eligibility Criteria for JoSAA Counselling
- ▪ JoSAA Criteria for JEE Main Candidates-
- ▪ Seat Allocation and Mock Allotment
- ▪ Document Verification and Reporting to Centers
- ▪ Seat Acceptance and Confirmation
- ▪ Seat Allotment and Reporting to Allotted Institutes
- ▪ Cut Off Ranks and Opening-Closing Ranks
- ▪ Withdrawal and Upgradation
- ▪ JoSAA Counselling Support and Resources
- ▪ Tips for Successful JoSAA Counselling
- ▪ Wrapping Up
- ▪ FAQs on JoSAA Counselling 2023
Overview JoSAA Counselling 2023
Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) is set up by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) to conduct the JoSAA Counselling 2023 and allocate seats to the national and premier institutes of India. JoSAA Counselling 2023 is conducted for more than 107 institutes in the country. The institutes range from IITs to Government Funded Technical Institutes. JoSAA Counselling 2023 will provide admission to 23 Indian Institutes of Technology, 31 National Institutes of Technology, 25 Indian Institutes of Information Technology and 28 GFTIs. The JoSAA platform will provide admission to all academic programs that the participating institutes offer.
The candidates must familiarise themselves with the process of JoSAA Counselling 2023 before the results of the JEE Examinations are released. Care must be taken while filling in the choices during the JoSAA Counselling 2023 and registration for the courses as these may be difficult to change later on. Read on to find more details about JoSAA Counselling 2023.
With a total of 6 rounds in the counselling sessions, JoSAA will provide admission into IITs, NITs, GFTIs and IIITs of the country. In case of vacancy of seats, extra super round counselling sessions will be conducted through the Central Seat Allocation Board for the JEE Main results.
The JEE Main and JEE Advanced are considered one of the toughest exams in the world and are one of the most important entrance exams in India. Results of JEE Main 2023 will be used to allocate seat admission to National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and GFTIs only. Only the JEE Advanced 2023 Results will determine the seat allocations into IITs.
Seat Allocation for approximately 114 institutes in India will be conducted by JoSAA for the academic year 2023-24. The list was increased with the addition of IIEST Shibpur, 1 IIIT and 5 GFTIs.
JoSAA Counselling Dates and Important Events
The Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) of India, created under the Ministry of Education, will conduct the JoSAA Counselling 2023 and provide admission to around 114 institutes in India. A sole single platform will make available admission to all the academic courses that are offered by these institutions.
JoSAA Counselling 2023 dates have been released by NTA. The JoSAA Counselling will begin from 19 June 2024. After the declaration of results, candidates are required to fill in their choices during the counselling and then accept, withdraw or upgrade the allotted seat. They must select their desired courses and upload the necessary documents before the final date. A fee of Rs. 35,000 will be paid by all candidates not belonging to SC, ST or PwD categories as an acceptance fee for the JoSAA Counselling 2023.
JoSAA Counselling Procedure Online Registration and Choice Filling
The JoSAA Counselling 2023 will be conducted for the JEE Main 2023 Candidates and JEE Advanced 2023 candidates, and all the candidates are required to read through and familiarise themselves with the counselling process thoroughly.
The step-by-step guide will help you navigate through the JoSAA Counselling 2023:
- Registration for JoSAA Counselling 2023
Candidates who are interested and eligible for counselling are required to register for the JoSAA Counselling 2023. Registration can be done by following these steps:
- Open the official website of JoSAA at josaa.nic.in and click on the registration link for JoSAA Counselling 2023.
- Once you have opened the registration link page, sign in with your JEE Exam Application Number and password.
- The candidate’s details will be shown on the screen and the candidate must cross-verify and confirm the details before completing the registration process.
- JoSAA Counselling 2023 Choice Filling
The candidate is required to select desired college choices and desired courses in the given displayed list as the next step of counselling after registration. This step must be done carefully, thoroughly and with realistic expectations based on the cut-off rankings of the individual colleges.
Your choices can be arranged according to your range of importance, from more preference to low preference. Students are required to lock in their choices before the final date. Once the choices are locked in after the final date, the candidates will not be allowed to modify their choices again.
The edit option will be made available to the candidates to edit and make any changes to their choices before the final date.
- Seat Allocation by JoSAA
The JoSAA Counselling 2023 will allocate certain seats to candidates depending on their performance in the JEE Main 2023 or JEE Advanced 2023 examination, their college choice and course preference, and their category.
Candidates will be provided with the options of floating, freezing or sliding their allocated seats.
If the candidate has accepted the allocated seat assigned after the JoSAA Counselling 2023, they must pay the seat acceptance fee through an online method, or e-challan to confirm their acceptance. The candidate must then visit the allocated institution to undergo the verification of documents.
Eligibility Criteria for JoSAA Counselling
According to the guidelines provided by NTA, only certain candidates will be eligible for the JEE Main and JEE Advanced. The requirements will be stricter for JEE Advanced students. Only those candidates who have written the JEE Main and JEE Advanced examinations will be eligible for JoSAA Counselling 2023.
The requirements for JEE Main 2023 candidates are as follows:
- The candidate must have completed his or her 10+2 or equivalent examination and must have taken Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- Apart from the compulsory subjects, the student needs to also have taken Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology or a Technical Vocational Subject (TVS) as a third subject.
JoSAA Criteria for JEE Main Candidates-
According to JoSAA guidelines, all General category candidates who want to register for JoSAA Counselling 2023 must have secured a minimum of 75% aggregate score in the JEE Main Examinations to be provided admission into NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. The aggregate requirement is lowered to 65% for candidates under reserved categories. However, eligibility for JoSAA Counselling 2023 will also be provided to the candidates if they secure a place below the top 20 percentile.
The candidate requirements for JEE Advanced 2023 are as follows:
- The candidate must fulfil all eligibility requirements for JEE Main 2023 and must have a rank below the top 250,000 in the examination.
- It is recommended that the candidate satisfy the JEE Advanced cut-off for the colleges, to increase the chances of being provided admission into the desired IIT.
Seat Allocation and Mock Allotment
JoSAA releases mock allotted seats during the JoSAA Counselling 2023 process to help verify that the result allotments are according to the preferences selected by the candidates during the choice-filling period. This is only for practice to help the candidates familiarise themselves with the process so that students can make necessary decisions after the actual results come out. The candidates can modify their selected options before the last date of editing, to expect desirable results in the final seat allotments.
To view your mock allotted seat after the mock allotment by JoSAA, follow these steps:
- Visit the official JoSAA Website at josaa.nic.in
- Select the 1st Mock Seat Allotment Results link on the website.
- Enter your JEE Application number and other details.
- Complete the security captcha and log in
- View your mock allotted seat for round 1
- After checking, save the information for any reference.
Document Verification and Reporting to Centers
After accepting their allocated seats in the JoSAA Counselling 2023 and paying the seat acceptance fee, the candidates must make note of their reporting centres and complete the document verification process. JoSAA is reported to hold virtual reporting centres for the 2023-24 cycle.
Candidates are requested to keep the below necessary documents ready during the document verification process:
- Seat Allotment Letter
- Passport copy or any other proof of date of birth
- Candidate’s JEE Main/JEE Advanced Admit Card
- Payment Receipt of Seat Acceptance Fee
- Medical Examination report
- Class 10 and Class 12 Official Marksheet
- Candidate’s Passport Size photograph.
Seat Acceptance and Confirmation
Candidates who are allotted seats in the JoSAA Counselling 2023 rounds will have the decision of accepting the seats. To accept their allotted seats, the candidates must pay a seat acceptance fee of Rs. 35,000 for general category candidates.
The seat acceptance fee must be paid before proceeding with document verification.
When the candidate has clicked on the ‘Pay Seat Acceptance Fee’ option after getting allotted a seat in the JoSAA Counselling 2023, they will be redirected to the payment gateway page where they can choose to pay from Debit Card, Credit Card or Net Banking. The candidate can then follow the instructions online to finish the payment process.
Once the payment is successful, the payment status on the seat allotment page will show “Success” after which the candidate can download and access the provisional seat allotment letter.
Seat Allotment and Reporting to Allotted Institutes
Once the candidates have completed all the steps in the JoSAA Counselling 2023 process, they will undergo the online document verification by JoSAA which will be completed by the scheduled date. The Date of Birth, Candidate category, PwD criteria and passing status along with fee payment confirmation will be verified.
If the candidate has accepted the seat and paid the seat acceptance fee, they will move on to the next step of the counselling process.
If the candidate chooses to decline the seat in the round, they can either withdraw from the counselling process altogether or choose to upgrade to the next round where they may be allotted a seat in their desired institution based on the availability and vacancy of seats and the updated cut-off ranks for higher rounds.
Depending on the option selected after seat allotment, the candidate will be able to access the “Provisional Admission Letter” or “Seat Cancellation Letter” in the JoSAA portal.
Cut Off Ranks and Opening-Closing Ranks
The cutoff ranks will be displayed for the institutions both on the official website of JoSAA and the individual institution’s official website after the results of the JEE Main 2023 and JEE Advanced 2023 are declared. The cut-off ranks will vary from institution to institution and from course to course.
For more details on the cut-off ranks and the opening and closing ranks, the candidates must visit the official website of JoSAA at josaa.nic.in.
Withdrawal and Upgradation
The candidate can edit their desired institute choice after locking in, before the deadline provided by submitting a request to unlock the edit access in the JoSAA portal.
- The candidate must visit the official NIC site for more details.
- After the deadline, no edits will be allowed to the choices, i.e., the candidate cannot change any course order or add additional courses to the list.
- To upgrade your seat, the candidate must choose the float/side option on the seat allotment page after being allotted a seat, to try for a chance to be allotted a seat in the candidate’s higher preference institute in the next round.
- To withdraw from the JoSAA counselling 2023 session, the candidate must select the withdraw option on the seat allotment page.
- Failure to report for acceptance of seats online will result in seat cancellation and the candidate will not be able to participate in any further rounds of the JoSAA counselling 2023.
JoSAA Counselling Support and Resources
There will be six rounds during the JoSAA counselling 2023 session. After submitting their applications on the official website, candidates will choose their desired institutions and receive allotments based on their scores. The following categories of candidates can opt for JoSAA Counselling and access support and resources:
- FN and PIO – Foreign Nationals and People of Indian Origin can take part in the JoSAA Counselling 2023 provided they are eligible to participate in the counselling process. They can seek admission into IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. Moreover, candidates belonging to this category are also eligible for supernumerary seats.
Supernumerary seats admit students belonging to certain reserved categories and meet certain requirements. These seats are different from regular merit seats and the categories include Foreign Nationals (FNs), Persons with Disabilities (PwD), candidates with parents in Defence Etc. The eligibility requirements vary from institute to institute and course to course. The counselling process for these seats is similar to that of regular seats but follows certain criteria and documentation verifications to prove eligibility.
- PwD – Candidates who fall under the PwD category and are eligible for the JEE Advanced examination can also seek special seats in Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs), and other national institutes including GFTIs. Special facilities and provisions will be provided for the candidates and they can request to access these facilities while filling out the application form.
Seats for PwD candidates are reserved in the participating institutions up to a certain percentage and are required so, as directed by the MSJE ( Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment). Candidates falling under this category must need to submit proof of disability and other necessary information while visiting the allotted seat institute.
- Migrants from Kashmir – For candidates who fall under the Kashmir Migrants category, special provisions have been provided by the government, provided that they are eligible to appear in the JEE Advanced Examination so that they can seek undergraduate engineering admission into the top institute in the country. Candidates will get to access special provisions and resources, though the process is similar to regular merit seat counselling. These candidates will be required to provide their proof of migration, and any other relevant certificates and necessary documents during the JoSAA Counselling 2023.
- Children of Defence Personnel – Candidates whose parents are either currently serving or retired after serving in Indian Defence will be provided special provisions. They must be eligible to write the JEE Advanced Examination and must provide appropriate proof of their parent’s defence status throughout the counselling process.
- PIO and OCI – Persons of Indian Origin and people with Overseas Citizenship of India are also eligible for special provisions and resources during the JoSAA counselling 2023 sessions. To be accepted under this category, the candidate must select this category during JEE Application registration and they will need to provide relevant proofs later, including their passport number, PIO card or OCI card. The PIO and OCI counselling category follows a similar process as regular seats.
- Non-Resident Indians – NRIs are eligible to apply for admission to undergraduate engineering programs and other programs at top institutes in India through the JoSAA Counselling 2023 process. Candidates under this category will need to register for JoSAA Counselling 2023 and select the appropriate category while registering. Candidates will also be requested to provide relevant information such as Passport Number, visa status and details and any other information. Seats will be allotted to NRIs depending on the number of seats available and the options chosen during the choice-selection process. A certain percentage of seats will be reserved for NRIs at all participating institutions.
Candidates from Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) are also provided with special provisions during the JoSAA Counselling 2023 process. This is in line with the Reservation Policy of the Indian Government and helps provide more opportunities for students from backward classes.
Tips for Successful JoSAA Counselling
These tips for successful JoSAA Counselling 2023 will help candidates make informed choices and maximise their chances during the counselling sessions.
- Access the brochure and instruction manual pages on JoSAA’s official website. This will help you gain all the relevant information regarding the JoSAA counselling process and will help you navigate through the entire session easily.
- Look at the list of all the participating institutes in the JEE Mains and JEE Advanced examinations. You can make informed decisions about your desired college and course and also seek admission into your ideal college based on your All India Rank in the examinations.
Select the institutes you wish to seek admission into and make a note of their previous years’ cut-offs, including the opening and closing ranks. This gives you a clear idea of what to select during the choice-filling session. Moreover, the rank range for the 2023-24 cycle will be mostly similar to the previous cycle’s range, though it varies with the difficulty of the examinations.
- Candidates who have successfully cleared the JEE Advanced examinations will be able to view the IIT college option during choice filling. Students who were not qualified for JEE Advanced will not be able to view IITs during choice filling and must select NITs or other colleges.
- Log in early to the JoSAA portal and explore all the options provided on the page. Select the proper category to access special provisions and make sure you have the necessary documents and proofs to show at the institute.
- While choice-filling for JoSAA, your choices must be filled in the descending order of their priority. Your first preference college must be at the top and the least preferred college must be at the bottom. Your seat allocation depends on the order of the colleges that you have selected. Make sure to save your options to avoid being logged out and losing any progress.
- Complete the mock allocation rounds properly as they will help give you a clear idea of how to navigate through the actual JoSAA Counselling 2023 process.
- Reporting Centres will only accept certain certificate formats so make sure to have all the formats of the certificate image ready.
- Make sure to select your desired reporting centre properly. Once selected, candidates will not be allowed to change their reporting centre. Choose a reporting centre closest to your home to avoid any traffic delays. In the case of virtual reporting centres, make sure to have your documents ready.
- Choose wisely before freezing, floating or sliding a seat allocated to you in the counselling process.
- You can keep upgrading your seat to the next round during the allocation process to increase your chances of getting into your desired university, especially if you have been allocated a seat in a university you do not wish to go to.
JEE Main and JEE Advanced are two of the most important engineering entrance exams in India. They provide a gateway for students to study in the top institutes of the country, including IITs and NITs and open the doors for a successful career. To be able to get a seat in desired institutes, candidates must thoroughly understand the process of the JoSAA Counselling session and must select their institution preferences appropriately. Candidates can also access special provisions during the counselling sessions to increase their chances of getting admission into their desired university, provided that they belong to certain categories. The JoSAA Counselling 2023 dates will be announced soon and students will have to register for counselling through the official website.
Keep visiting the official site of JoSAA to stay updated for more details – josaa.nic.in.
FAQs on JoSAA Counselling 2023
Q1. How many rounds will JOSAA Counselling 2023 have?
Ans: JoSAA Counselling 2023 will provide admission to more than 114 institutions in India, including IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. The number of counselling rounds in JoSAA will vary from year to year and depend on the number of students who have applied for counselling, the available number of seats in the participating institutions and the cut-off ranks of the institutes. It is reported that JoSAA Counselling 2023 will feature six rounds of counselling.
Q2. Is it necessary to apply for JoSAA Counselling if I have already qualified for JEE Advanced but only want to get admission into NIT?
Ans: All candidates who wish to seek admission into the premier institutes of the country, including IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs will be required to apply for JoSAA Counselling. Candidates who have cleared the JEE Advanced examination will be able to view the option of IITs on the choice selection page during the counselling. All other candidates will be only able to choose from NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. JoSAA handles all the seat allocation tasks and provides special rounds in case of available seats in institutes.
Q3. When will JoSAA Counselling 2023 take place?
Ans: JoSAA Counselling takes place every year, usually right after the completion of JEE Main and JEE Advanced examinations. The counselling dates for JoSAA 2023 will be announced by the official authority soon. Based on previous years’ trends, JoSAA counselling is expected to start in June or July. Candidates are requested to keep visiting the official website of JoSAA at josaa.nic.in to stay updated about all the details regarding JoSAA Counselling 2023.
Q4. Will there be any special rounds in JoSAA Counselling 2023?
Ans: There will be additional special rounds during JoSAA Counselling, in case of seats in the institutions still being vacant. This special vacant seats round will be conducted by the CSAB and will allocate seats to students at available NITs, IIITs and GFTIs only. No IIT admissions will be provided during the special rounds. The special rounds are used to fill seats at available institutions and those students who meet the eligibility criteria for the special rounds must register for the special round and fill in the available choices again. Seat allocation during the special round will depend on the candidate’s scores in the JEE Mains examination and the number of seats available.