Clearing the 10th board is the first academic achievement in a student’s life. As you move up the ladder, you start thinking about which stream to select next. If you already have something in mind that’s great, if not the constant juggling inside yourself can be overwhelming to decide what you want to pursue in high school.
Are you all set to take your boards next year and thinking about what to go for after that? Are you having a dilemma connecting the dots between science vs commerce? Then, this is the right place for you.
We will take you through the intricacies of both courses and let you choose accordingly the right pick for you.
- ▪ Science vs Commerce: List of Subjects in Class 11th and 12th
- ▪ What is Science Stream and Who Should Choose It?
- ▪ Skills Required to Study Science
- ▪ Benefits of Studying Science
- ▪ Courses After Science
- ▪ What is Commerce Stream and Who Should Choose It?
- ▪ Skills Required to Study Commerce
- ▪ Benefits of Studying Commerce
- ▪ Courses After Commerce
- ▪ Science Vs Commerce Salary
- ▪ Wrapping Up
- ▪ FAQs
Science vs Commerce: List of Subjects in Class 11th and 12th
In the section below, we will take a look at the different subjects included in the respective streams of science and commerce.
Here’s a List of Science Stream Subjects in High School
Physics: The scientific study of non-living objects that includes force, energy, movement, and materials is physics. It’s among the core subjects that you’ll study as a science student in your high-school boards. The main topics you’ll explore will include:
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Laws of Motion
- Electronic Devices
Chemistry: The study of life’s structure i.e Atoms and matter is Chemistry, that’s among the compulsory subjects in the science stream. As technology emerges ahead, new sectors in Chemistry are opening up. Some major topics coming under the high school chemistry syllabus include:
- Chemical bonding
- Molecular structure
- Chemical thermodynamics
- Organic chemistry
Mathematics: Mathematics is either a much-loved or much-hated subject among students. It encompasses the broad topics of quantity, transformation, space, etc. Some of the major topics covered under the high-school Mathematics syllabus include:
- Linear programming
Biology: The study of species is biology. It covers the broad concepts of living organisms on earth like plants, animals, and insects, their evolution, and development. The main topics coming under high school biology are:
- Genetics and evolution
- Plant physiology
- Human physiology
English: Irrespective of whether you choose any of the streams between science or commerce, English is the compulsory language subject taught to students. The main chapters coming under high school English include stories, poems, grammatical skills, reading, and writing skills.
Here’s a list of Major Commerce Stream Subjects in High School
Accountancy: One of the compulsory subjects in 12th commerce is Accountancy which involves the principles of accounting, financial statements, determining financial results, etc. The main concepts you’ll cover during your two-year high school tenure will include:
- Financial Accounting
- Financial statements
- Business transactions
- Bank reconciliation statement
- Depreciation, Provision, Reserves
Business Studies: Another major subject in the commerce stream is Business studies, which deals with the intricacies of business, commerce, and trade. It gives you a clear perception of the business world. The primary topics included are:
- Foundations of business
- Finance and trade
- Business Finance
- Public, private, and multinational companies
- Emerging modes of business, etc.
Economics: A must-read in class 11-12 commerce is Economics which provides you with a detailed insight into the economy. The main topics coming under high-school economics are:
- Micro and macroeconomics
- Balance of Proportion
- Law of Demands
- Price, supply, etc.
While we talk more about science vs commerce, it’s important to understand what the subjects are and what personality is suitable to take it up.
What is Science Stream and Who Should Choose It?
Science is a tempting study stream and helps students explore many smart real-world concepts. Day-to-day applications like a geyser, wovens, electric devices, earlier weather forecasts, broadcasting modes, etc: all are boons of science.
Besides these, science has been phenomenal in conquering great heights, fighting deadly diseases, and building awareness across different formats. Studying science also opens the door to crack jobs in high-paying sectors.
If you’re someone who wishes to discover new things in the future or is dedicated to bringing a revolution in medicine, science is your go-to stream. To study science, you need to be:
- Goal-oriented: You need to be positive toward your goal and dedicated to achieving it.
- Broad-minded: You should be progressive minded though that applies Irrespective of any subject stream you’re studying.
- Intelligent: You must be intelligent enough to grab the critical concepts.
- Logical-minded: You need to have a logical mindset and be able to analyze things with proper reason.
- Having an Objective approach: You need to have an unbiased and balanced outlook towards different things that surround you.
- A Skeptic mind: You need to be an ardent follower of strict principles that don’t deviate you from your aim.
Skills Required to Study Science
Most students have a question, “Is science stream hard?” Well, it might be difficult but highly scoring if you’re focused on your studies and possess the right skills. Here are the top skills needed to study science in your high school:
Critical evaluation: To study science and cope with in-detail concepts, you need to be a great critical evaluator. You should have a keen eye to detail and be able to compile, analyze and evaluate a piece of information.
Observation: One of the most fundamental skills required to study science is observation. You must be able to catch the “bigger picture” and cite the necessary details.
Communication: Coping up with the in-detail course concepts, interacting] with your peers and teachers, and further utilizing your knowledge in the professional field, will need you to be a great communicator.
Experimenting: One of the core skills you’ll need to study science is effective experimenting. It can help you draw new ideas and concepts to solve various puzzles and draw a promising outcome.
Drawing Conclusions: It’s very important to be able to conclude when you’re in between a problem. You must have strong analytical skills to interpret things well and draw effective conclusions to puzzles.
Benefits of Studying Science
There are numerous benefits of studying science and some of them are:
- Everything around us is science, coming with respective logic. Studying this stream not only increases your fundamental knowledge but helps understand the world around much better.
- Studying different concepts, their intricacies, variations, measurements, etc, will broaden your knowledge across various sectors. It will boost you to share and discuss your thoughts with others and further invest in it to make it big.
- Science can be difficult to deal with and not everyone’s cup of tea. But if you’re the right candidate and willing to work hard to get results, it will shower you with great blessings. It can be scoring and boost your energy for pursuing higher studies in your favourite stream subject.
- Careers in science stream are endless and there are many tempting professional roles that you go for based on your interest. Successful science students can attract lucrative job roles at reputed firms at a handsome salary.
Be it college placements or off-campus seating, big opportunities await skilled and eligible students. That’s a big bonus of studying science.
Students are often confused about science or commerce: which has more scope? Answering this question will need us to look at the respective career options.
Some excellent career options for science stream students are:
- Scientists, etc.
Courses After Science
A major point to cover while talking about science vs commerce is the respective courses available after class 12.
There’s a pool of courses after 12th science, based on what you read in your high school between PCM and PCB. The most coveted courses are:
- B.E./B.Tech Engineering (Mechanical, Civil, Production, Software, Chemical, Biotechnology, etc)
- B.SC (Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Geology, etc.)
- Graphic Designing, etc.
What is Commerce Stream and Who Should Choose It?
While taking a debate on science vs commerce, it’s important to understand the respective definitions of the subjects. After discussing the significant aspects of the science stream. Let’s throw some light on commerce.
Students often have a question:.question: is commerce a good stream? Well, for the right candidate it’s a wonderful field. But if you’re unserious about your studies, it won’t serve a fruitful purpose, no matter the stream.
If you’re into analyzing numbers, patterns, and graphs, it’s the perfect stream for you. Right from the fundamentals of consumer goods and markets to stock market predictions: commerce covers it all.
Skills Required to Study Commerce
Is commerce hard? No students, who aspire to study this stream, can ignore this question once before taking it up. However, with the right skills and willingness to do better, you can develop an amazing career in this field. The core skills required to study commerce are:
- Numeracy skills: Taking up commerce will need you to have decent numeric skills and work on further improving them. You need to have a standard idea about numerics or work on upgrading it to do financial calculations, analyze findings and draw conclusions.
- Communication: The demand across the management sector is overwhelming and this leads to the majority of commerce students taking up this path. Working in the corporate sector will need you to be an excellent communicator. Try nurturing these skills as you step into the world of commerce.
- Problem-solving: Working with numerics and critical calculations will need you to be good at problem-solving to avoid concluding glitches and give effective solutions.
- Leadership: Leadership is a core skill that you should develop while you study commerce. Working on critical parts like MS Excel, organisational details, economics, finances, etc., and working on a team will need you to have good management skills.
Benefits of Studying Commerce
There are numerous benefits of studying commerce stream and here are a few of them:
- Going into this field opens the doors to studying a pool of subjects once you finish your boards.
- Commerce is a highly tempting field these days. Going for this stream can help you stay connected with the day-to-day trends and stand aside from the crowd.
- Students studying commerce without mathematics can avail a broad range of courses after the 12th. It can give them exciting career scopes and choices from their preference.
- After commerce, there are a lot of brilliant Master’s options like MBA, CMA, etc.
Courses After Commerce
There are abundant courses after 12th commerce available for interested candidates and let’s have a glance at them:
- Hotel Management
- Banking courses
The most lucrative part about studying commerce is it enhances your corporate profile. Like, you can pursue your graduation and at the same time do CA. After completing the latter, you can go for a great job or even go for setting up a new CA firm.
Science Vs Commerce Salary
The next part to discuss in science vs Commerce is the salary structure for the respective field. Let’s take a look at some of the most high-paying jobs in each of the streams.
High-paying jobs in the science stream:
- Computer Research Scientist
- Clinical Researcher
- Data Analyst
- Atmospheric Researcher
High-paying jobs in the commerce stream:
- Chartered Accountant
- Investment Banking
- Financial Advisor
- Cost Accountant
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- Sales Manager
- Budget Analyst
- Marketing Manager
Is commerce better than science? Should I opt for this one over that? A lot of such questions will keep popping up in your head. Rather than falling for the never-ending combat of science vs commerce, you can listen to your interest. Moreover, you can go to a career counsellor too, and find out which matches your eligibility, skills and can have a brighter scope for you in the future.
What do you like better between commerce and science? Which is your favourite subject in the respective stream? Let us know!
Q1. Which is better for the future: science or commerce?
Ans: In the debate for science vs commerce, this question will always have an evergreen existence. However, it solely depends on the skills you have and the field you’re interested in.
Q2. Science vs Commerce: Which Stream lets you Earn More?
Ans: In the never-ending debate of science vs commerce, there’s no definite answer to which stream lets you earn better. It depends on your job role, industry, and experience. Be it a physicist or a Chartered Accountant, you earn handsomely irrespective of the stream.
Q3. Which is easier: science or commerce?
Ans: Is commerce easier than science? A lot of students have this question. Both of the streams come with their own sets of difficulties and simplicities. It’s on you how you’re dealing with them.
Q4. Which stream has better career options?
Ans: Science or commerce: which has more scope, this question has always confused candidates juggling between taking up the two. There are lots of handsome paying jobs available for successful candidates of both streams. Both streams can offer you enticing career scopes based on your aim and interest.