Science is the most popular stream among students and stats show becoming a doctor or an engineer is still the first choice among many candidates. Choosing the right stream after your 10th is a significant career decision that you make, based on your interests and capability.
The science stream subjects in classes 11 and 12 are vast and come with specific combinations. The line you’re able to pursue going next depends on the combination you’re studying in your high school. So, what are the subjects in science, and what are the important topics included in them? Eager to know?
Find out in this blog.
- ▪ How Many Subjects Are There in Science Class 11?
- ▪ How Many Subjects are there in Science Class 12?
- ▪ Career Options for Students Choosing PCM
- ▪ Career Options for Students Choosing PCB
- ▪ Benefits of Choosing Science Stream in Class 11 and 12
- ▪ Wrapping Up
How Many Subjects Are There in Science Class 11?
The science stream subjects in high school are broadly classified into two groups that are PCM and PCB. The latter is the medical stream, whereas the former is a non-medical stream. The difference lies in selecting electives between biology and mathematics, whereas physics and chemistry are compulsory.
For students having the question of how many subjects are there in science, the section below has something insightful.
Let’s take a detailed look at the subjects and the important topics in the syllabus.
One of the prominent 11th science subjects is Physics. In the science of non-living objects, physics is among the oldest fields in education history. Studying this discipline will help you examine the areas around thermodynamics, magnetism, technologies, mechanics, energy, force, dimensions, etc.
Through your studies, you’ll be able to develop strong analytical skills and widen your understanding of different technical concepts.
Here’s a quick outlook on the class 11 physics important chapters.
- Physical World and Measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy, and Power
- The motion of the System of Particles
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Kinetic Theory Gases
- Oscillation and Waves
A major entry in the science subject list is chemistry, which deals with studying properties and compositions. You study a vast number of concepts while studying chemistry, like chemical bonds, chemical equilibrium, organic chemistry, and so on.
Studying chemistry is synonymous with developing strong critical thinking skills. It also helps to hone your creative abilities.
Here’s a short glance at the 11th class syllabus of chemistry.
- Basic concepts of chemistry
- Atomic structure
- Elements classification and periodicity in properties
- Chemical bonding and molecular structure
- States of Matter
- s-block elements
- Redox reactions
- Some p-block elements
- Organic Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
A regular name in the science stream is biology which deals with the study of living elements on earth. The term ‘biology’ originates from the Greek language with ‘bios’ signifying life and ‘logos’ meaning study. This discipline takes you to the world of plants and animals, different physiological methods, molecular interactions, and evolution processes.
Studying one of the crucial 11th medical subjects, biology, strengthens your investigative and analytical skills. Here’s a quick brief of the major chapters of the 11th-grade biology syllabus.
- The Living World of Biodiversity
- Biological Classification
- Animal Kingdom
- Structural Organisation in Animal and Plant
- Structure and Function of Cell
- Plant and Human Physiology
A prominent non-medical subject in 11th class is mathematics, which has been getting a mixed response from students since time immemorial. Some fear the subject a lot, while for some, it’s their favorite subject. The discipline revolves around the studies of numerics, quantity, proportions, transactions, etc.
The study encompasses calculus, mathematical equations, and so on, which helps you improve your quantitative ability. Let’s take a quick look at the essential topics coming under 11th mathematics.
- Sets and Functions
- Coordinate Geometry
- Statistics and Probability
English might not be a regular name among the science stream subjects, but it is a compulsory language elective. English is significantly used in the corporate world, colleges, and higher education centers. The high-school English is important to boost your reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills to prepare you for the world ahead.
Here’s a short overview of the 11th-grade English syllabus.
- Unseen Passage and Comprehension
- Creative Writing
- Prose and Poetry from the book Hornbill
After you select the compulsory science stream subjects for your high school, you’ll need to pick an optional elective. In some schools, the students can also take up to two optional subjects. The section below focuses on some of the major optional electives among class 11 science stream subjects.
1. Computer Science
An enticing name as a popular science side subject is computer science, quite a popular one among students. If you wish to go further with BCA in your higher studies or aspire to be a software engineer, knowledge of computer science will be a must.
The discipline focuses on general studies of computers, programming languages, computer applications, and other associated aspects. It is a great pick for tech aspirants, and you’ll be able to improve your technical expertise.
Here’s what the 11th-grade computer science syllabus looks like:
- Computer Systems and Organisations (types of software, number system, encoding sentences, etc.)
- Computational Thinking and Programming (Errors, Flow of Control, Conditional Statements, Dictionary, etc.)
- Society, Law, and Ethics (Data Protection, Cyber Society, Cyber Crime, etc.)
2. Information Practices
One of the popular names among the science stream subjects is Information Practices, a quite popular one among tech buffs. Though it is similar to computer science, the discipline focuses more on studying information, devices, computer applications, etc.
A strong understanding of this subject will be helpful in increasing your skills in Python, Data structure, and query languages. Here are the important topics coming under the 11th-grade Information Practices syllabus.
- Introduction to Python and Computer Systems (system and application software, units of memory, data deletion, python, data type conversion, etc.)
- Database Concepts and Query Language (database management, relational data model, MYSQL, etc.)
- Introduction to Emerging Trends (Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, etc.)
3. Engineering Drawing
Among the other subjects in the science stream in 11th is Engineering drawing, which you can choose as an optional elective. This discipline specializes in engineering graphics and studies of machine construction and analysis, structures, systems, etc.
If you’re interested in setting up a career in engineering, graphics, architecture, or design, the knowledge from this subject will be a big bonus. Here’s a short glimpse of the important topics listed under the engineering drawing syllabus for the 11th.
- Plane Geometry (Lines, Angels, Circles, Tangents, etc.)
- Solid Geometry (Orthographic projections)
- Machine Drawing (Surfaces, machine blocks, etc.)
How Many Subjects are there in Science Class 12?
The combination you choose for the science stream subjects in your 11th grade. Remains the same in 12th. As you climb up the academic ladder, you’ll get into the world of more advanced concepts and further enhance your knowledge in the concerned discipline.
In the section below, we will examine the crucial subjects and include chapters in the class 12 science syllabus.
A must-mention in the 12th science subject list is physics, which takes you across a vast syllabus to an advanced world of technology. Many students find it difficult to cope with 12 physics, but you must not worry.
If you have your concepts clear and enjoy the subject you’re reading, many obstacles won’t come your way. Here’s a short list of crucial chapters included in the physics-reduced syllabus for class 12.
- Current Electricity
- Current and Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter
- Atoms and Nuclei
- Electronic Devices
Among the important science stream subjects is chemistry which takes you to the world of atoms and molecules. As you step up in the academic domain, more advanced concepts are introduced, and you’ll need to work hard to derive good results.
Here’s a short overview of the chemistry-reduced syllabus class 12.
- Chemical Kinetics
- Coordination Compounds
- d and f block elements
- Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers
- Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
- Aldehydes, Ketones, and Carboxylic Acids
Biology is an important science subject and a compulsory field if you wish to be in the medical profession going ahead. In class 12, the topic standards will be higher, and so will the practical lessons. You must keep focused to fulfil your goals.
Here’s what the biology-reduced syllabus class 12 looks like:
- Genetics and Evolution
- Biology and Human Welfare
- Biotechnology and its Applications
- Ecology and Environment
A step higher indicates an increased difficulty level. 12th Maths is no exception and only candidates with staunch hard work and focus can get the best results after the board examination. All you need is a regular practice to cope with the difficulties, and anytime you have doubt, discuss it with your teachers.
Here’s a brief overview of the class 12 maths syllabus:
- Relations and Functions
- Vectors and Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Linear Programming
English is among the compulsory science stream subjects as a language elective. The standard concepts in 12th grade help you further work on your literary and writing skills, which will be of great need in your coming life.
Let’s have a short glance at class 12 English syllabus.
- Reading Skills through comprehension of unseen passages
- Creative Writing (notice, formal and informal invitation, letters, article writing, report writing.)
- Reference to Context, MCQs, Short and Long Answers from Prose, Poetry, Play from books Flamingo and Vistas.
Check out the Science Question Bank to solve questions and keep up the practice.
We had a fair discussion above on the available optional subjects for high school science. Let’s take a look at the remaining ones.
A popular name among the science stream subjects is Economics, the social science discipline that helps you explore the world of economy, markets, prices, and competitors.
Let’s take a look at the important chapters included in the class 12 Economics syllabus:
- National Income
- Money and Banking
- Income and Employment
- Government Budget and Economy
- Balance of Payments
- Economic Reforms
- Indian Economy and Current Challenges
- Development Experience in India
Another interesting inclusion in the science subject list is Psychology, which you can take as an optional elective. The discipline gives you a chance to study the scientific reasons for human behaviour.
Here’s what the class 12th Psychology syllabus looks like:
- Variations and Psychological Attributes
- Self and Personality
- Meeting Life Challenges
Career Options for Students Choosing PCM
One of the most coveted courses after 10th is PCM in high school. Following this 2-year tenure, the candidates can get ahead for some brilliant career opportunities. There are a bunch of courses that include:
- B.Tech/B.E. Engineering (Civil, mechanical, production, chemical, etc.)
- B.Sc (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Information Science, etc.)
- Management Studies
- BDes Product Design, etc.
Studying any of the engineering courses will need you to crack the JEE.
Some luring career picks for you can be:
- Mechanical/Civil/Production/Chemical/Aviation/Aerospace/etc., Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Product Designer
- Physics/Chemistry/Maths teacher/professor
- Web Developer/Designer
- Merchant Navy
- National Defence Services
Cracking some of the above-listed jobs will require you to undergo specific entrance tests.
Career Options for Students Choosing PCB
Pursuing PCB in your high school is an excellent opportunity to crack some exceptional educational targets you aspire to. Most of the students in this space go for medical, which needs you to crack the NEET exam. There are a lot of other courses too that you can go for based on skills and interests.
Here’s a list of the most popular courses after PCB:
- B.Tech Biotechnology
- B.Sc (Physics/Chemistry/Bioscience/Biochemistry/Microbiology, etc.)
- BS in Bioinformatics
- Bachelor of Viticulture
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery
There are a few diploma programs available too after the 12th PCB, and here’s a list of them:
- Diploma in Agriculture
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Yoga
- Diploma in Pharmacy
- Diploma in Nursing
There are some intriguing career options in this domain for eligible candidates. They include:
- Medical Professional
- Wildlife Biologist
- Zoo Curator
- Clinical Researcher
- Lab Technician
- Environmental Consultant
- Healthcare Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Biomedical Scientist
Benefits of Choosing Science Stream in Class 11 and 12
Careers in Science stream are enormous and can present scintillating opportunities to eligible candidates. There are a lot of benefits of pursuing science in your high school, such as:
- Pursuing science is not only about individual achievements but also contributing to society at large. An individual with a creative mindset, a practical approach, and a solid technical understanding can bring premium innovations to society.
- Be it stepping into space or diving deep inside the enthralling deep ocean, science is all about conquering the impossible. Pursuing this dream will also help you make significant advances in your professional life.
- Finishing your 12th board with science with outstanding marks and merit can give you a chance to pursue higher education in some of the country’s top institutes like IIT, NIT, AIIMS, etc.
- Being a good student of the science stream subjects is beneficial, and you can start providing tutoring subjects before entering the professional world. Not only will it be helpful to earn some extra bucks, but you can impart your knowledge to interest enthusiasts.
Check out the Science last year solved papers here.
Science is an amazing stream that can bring you some exceptional opportunities based on your skills and hard work. Choosing the right stream for your career is among the most important decisions, and you should be very careful with it.
So, which of the science subject combinations are you willing to take? Will you go for PCM or PCB? Let us know in the comments!