Engineering is one of the most popular courses among students. After class 12 many students look out for Top Engineering Colleges in India to learn from the best. Engineering is a vast field encompassing various specialisations that a student can pursue. There are more than 600 Engineering colleges in India. Most students look out for the top 10 best engineering colleges in India or the No. 1 engineering college in India. Still, before you choose the best BTech college you must check out the engineering colleges rank list 2023.
- ▪ Ranking Methodology
- ▪ Parameters for Ranking Engineering Colleges
- ▪ Why is NIRF Ranking 2023 important for Engineering college admission?
- ▪ Top Engineering Colleges in India 2023: NIRF Ranking
- ▪ Factors to Consider While Selecting Top Engineering Colleges in India
- ▪ Entrance Exams for Engineering Admissions
- ▪ Conclusion
- ▪ FAQs on Top Engineering Colleges in India
India had its first Engineering college in 1847. Thomason College of Civil Engineering was established in Roorkee even before independence. After independence, the college was reinstated as IIT Roorkee, one of India’s top-ranking engineering colleges and is quite popular among students. Those who are interested in Engineering would apply to a BE or BTech college through an engineering entrance exam. Mostly, students appear for JEE Mains 2023 or JEE Advanced which allows a student to appear in the merit list and be eligible to apply to various reputed engineering universities in India. Engineering is a vast field. Students can pursue many specialised courses that come under the umbrella of universities. While preparing for your engineering college admission, knowing what options you can explore while you start your entrance exam preparation is important. Here is the list of courses that are offered at the best engineering institutes in India:
- B. Tech Computer Science
- B. Tech Mechanical Engineering
- B. Tech Electronic and Communication Engineering
- B. Tech Electrical Engineering
- B. Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- B. Tech Civil Engineering
- B. Tech Chemical Engineering
- B. Tech Information Technology
- B. Tech Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- B. Tech Electronics Engineering
- B. Tech Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- B. Tech Petroleum Engineering
- B. Tech Aeronautical Engineering
- B. Tech Aerospace Engineering
- B. Tech Automobile Engineering
- B. Tech Mining Engineering
- B. Tech Power Engineering
- B. Tech Production Engineering
- B. Tech Biotechnology
- B. Tech Genetic Engineering
- B. Tech Food Processing & Technology
- B. Tech Agricultural Engineering
- B. Tech Environmental Engineering
- B. Tech Dairy Technology and Engineering
- B. Tech Agricultural Information Technology
- B. Tech Infrastructure Engineering
- B. Tech Motorsport Engineering
- B. Tech Metallurgy Engineering
- B. Tech Textile Engineering
- B. Tech Marine Engineering
- B. tech Naval Architecture
- B. Tech Geoinformatics
- B. Tech Petrochemical Engineering
- B. Tech Polymer Engineering
- B. Tech Geotechnical Engineering
- B. Tech Nuclear Engineering
Engineering needs a lot of focus and dedication. The competitive exams for engineering are considered one of the toughest exams. Many students opt for coaching at reputed institutes for JEE preparation and preparation for other engineering exams in India. Students work hard to get to the Top Engineering Colleges in India. IITs, NITs, and IIITs are considered some of the finest and top engineering colleges in India, however, the ranking for every college keeps changing every year based on various parameters. Also, there are many private engineering colleges that are among the top 50 engineering colleges in India or considered the best placement engineering colleges in India.
Parameters for Ranking Engineering Colleges
Before you search for Top Engineering Colleges in India and check out the engineering colleges rank list 2023, you must understand what are the parameters that are considered while ranking the top B Tech colleges in India. These parameters will help you in choosing the right college for you. College rankings are done by many organisations in India but the most reliable and credible one is done by the National Institutional Ranking Framework or NIRF. It comes under the Ministry of Human Resources Development and releases college rankings that are authorised by the government. There are various parameters on which these rankings are based. NIRF not only releases rankings for Top Engineering Colleges in India but also for other fields like Management, Medical, Law, etc.
NIRF follows the following parameters while deciding the ranking for a college or institute:
NIRF Parameters for College Ranking
- Teaching, Learning, and Resources (TLR)
- Research and Professional Practice (RP)
- Outreach and Inclusivity (OI)
- Graduation Outcomes (GO)
- Perception (PR)
Now, these parameters are evaluated on the basis of various sub-areas that are given below:
|NIRF Ranking Parameters||Marks Assigned||Total Marks & Ranking Weightage|
|Teaching, Learning, and Resources (TLR)|
|Student Strength including doctoral students (SS)||20||Total Marks: 100|
Ranking Weightage: 0.30
|Faculty-student ratio with emphasis on permanent faculty (FSR)||30|
|Combined metric for faculty with PhD (or equivalent) and experience (FQE)||20|
|Financial resources and their utilisation (FRU)||30|
|Research and Professional Practice (RP)|
|Combined metric for publication (PU)||35||Total Marks: 100|
Ranking Weightage: 0.30
|Combined metric for quality of publications (QP)||35|
|IPR and patents: Published and Granted and licensed (IPR)||15|
|Footprint of projects and professional practice and executive development programmes (FPPP)||15|
|Graduation Outcome (GO)|
|Metric for university examinations (GUE)||60||Total Marks: 100|
Ranking Weightage: 0.20
|Metric for number of PhD students graduated (GPHD)||40|
|Outreach and Inclusivity (OI)|
|Percentage of students from other states/countries (Region Diversity RD)||30||Total Marks: 100|
Ranking Weightage: 0.10
|Percentage of women (Women Diversity WD)||30|
|Economically and socially challenged students (ESCS)||20|
|Facilities for physically challenged students (PCS)||20|
|Peer Perception: Academic Peers and Employers (PR)||100||Total Marks: 100|
Ranking Weightage: 0.10
Why is NIRF Ranking 2023 important for Engineering college admission?
NIRF helps students in choosing among the Top Engineering Colleges in India for admission. NIRF ranking also let a student learn about engineering colleges and which ones are the best placement engineering colleges in India. The NIRF ranking is updated every year. You can check the engineering college rank list 2023 on the official website of NIRF.
Top Engineering Colleges in India 2023: NIRF Ranking
Every year lakhs of students appear for different engineering entrance exams. After the declaration of results, students get to choose the engineering college of their choice.
|Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT M)||89.79||1|
|National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli||69.71||9|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||66.59||11|
|National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal||65.26||12|
|IIT, Varanasi (Banaras Hindu University)||63.74||15|
|National Institute of Technology Rourkela||62.79||16|
|IIT Dhanbad (Dhanbad)||62.37||17|
|IIT Gandhinagar, Gujarat||61.66||18|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||61.54||19|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||61.24||20|
|National Institute of Technology Warangal||61.13||21|
|National Institute of Technology Calicut||60.28||23|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||59.70||24|
|Birla Institute of Technology & Science-Pilani||59.52||25|
|Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi||59.30||26|
|Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan||58.92||27|
|SRM Institute of Science and Technology||58.56||28|
|Delhi Technological University||58.34||29|
|Aligarh Muslim University||57.26||32|
|Shanmugha Arts Science Technology & Research Academy||56.21||34|
|Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur, West Bengal||56.12||35|
|Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education||55.69||36|
|Malaviya National Institute of Technology||55.60||37|
|Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology||55.14||39|
|National Institute of Technology Silchar||55.07||40|
|Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur||55.03||41|
|National Institute of Technology Durgapur||53.91||43|
|Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University (K L College of Engineering)||53.69||44|
|Sri Sivasubramniya Nadar College of Engineering||52.88||45|
|Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar||52.85||46|
|Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology||52.04||48|
|Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology||51.89||49|
|Lovely Professional University||51.47||50|
Check out the full list here.
Factors to Consider While Selecting Top Engineering Colleges in India
Engineering is not an easy nut to crack. Still, there are lakhs of students who work hard and get through entrance exams and choose the best engineering university in India for themselves. Here are the key points that you must consider before you choose the best BTech colleges in India.
- Ranking: Of course when it’s about your life you would want to be with the best. College ranking is an important factor while you explore Top Engineering Colleges in India. College ranking by NIRF is the most reliable one and gives you a clear picture of the institute and its prominence.
- Affiliation: In India, there are more than 400 engineering institutes that are not directly under the government and are affiliated with engineering universities. The affiliation to a UGC-recognised university allow these engineering institutes to run engineering courses for students. Apart from UGC, the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) hold a lot of credibility for engineering universities in India. So, before you finalise any engineering college do check out its affiliation.
- Placement: Placement is one of the major factors for students who are selecting engineering institutes. Colleges with a strong record of placement tend to be more popular among students. Check out the placement record of the college even if it is among Top Engineering Colleges in India before you finalise it.
- Course/Specialisation: Engineering has many specialisations. Once you are offered a course and institute after the counselling session, make sure that the course is as per your interest and expertise. Sometimes students overlook this essential key point and take admitted to an institute even if they do not get the desired course. This is not the correct approach. If you do not get your desired course and you fail to perform then even a high placement record won’t help you. It is, therefore, highly recommended that you go for a course that justifies your aspirations, expertise, and your competency.
Entrance Exams for Engineering Admissions
We always relate engineering exams to IITs. JEE Advanced is the entrance exam that a student must clear to enter any of the IITs in India. However, IITs are not the only institutes that are top engineering colleges in India. And, JEE Advanced and JEE Mains are not the only competitive exams to get admission to the best engineering institutes in India. The list of various entrance exams that can help you get admission to the Top Engineering Colleges in India is mentioned below;
|Engineering Entrance Exam||Engineering Entrance Exam Dates||Mode of Exam|
|BITSAT||Session 1: May|
Session 2: June
|SRMJEE||Session 1: April|
Session 2: June
Session 3: July
|Remote Proctored Online|
|AEEE||Session 1: April|
Session 2: May
|KLUEEE||Phase 1: December|
Phase 2: February
Phase 3: April
|SMIT B. Tech Entrance Exam||April||Online|
|VTUEEE||Slot 1: March-April|
Slot 2: April
The result for most of the engineering entrance exams is out. The counselling sessions have begun and students are contemplating different choices that are in front of them. Of course, they would want nothing short of Top Engineering Colleges in India. Our tips and the ranking list will help you in finalising the best engineering universities in India. All the best!
FAQs on Top Engineering Colleges in India
Q1. Which is the best engineering college in India?
NIRF comes with a college ranking every year. They rank colleges in different categories including Engineering on the basis of set parameters. This year, IIT Madras has topped the engineering college rank list 2023.
Q2. Are JEE Main and JEE Advanced the only entrance exams to get admission to top universities in India for engineering?
Though JEE Main and JEE Advanced are considered one of the toughest engineering exams in India but there are many engineering entrance exams that can help you get admission to top engineering colleges in India. The list of exams is;
• Amity JEE
• AP EAMCET
• TS EAMCET
• Assam CEE
• GITAM GAT
• MHT CET
• SMIT B. Tech Entrance Exam
• CG PET
• Tripura JEE
• Uni Gauge
Q3. How do I select the best engineering course?
Engineering colleges offer various specialisations in the field of engineering. But you cannot choose any course just because you got the option after counselling. You must evaluate your chances of performing in that course, future prospects, and job opportunities in that particular course. It is better to go for a course that suits your expertise rather than going after a college.
Q4. How to prepare to get admission to Top Engineering Colleges in India?
Engineering is one of the most popular fields of study among students. Most students start preparing for the engineering entrance exam from class 9 onwards. Here are some tips you can follow to prepare for entrance exam and get through the top engineering colleges in India.