Improvement in Food Resources Class 9 Notes Science - Chapter 15
What Are Improvement In Food Resources ?
- Plant: Obtained from agriculture
- Animals: Obtained from animal husbandry
Need For Efficiency Of Crops And Livestock
- The population of India is growing at a faster rate hence more amount of food is required to meet the rising demand.
- The agricultural land is limited as compared to the growing population.
Efforts Made To Meet The Increase In Food Demands
- Green Revolution: The introduction of modern technology and equipment, usage of fertilizers and high-quality seeds.
- White Revolution: Increasing the growth of milk production by introducing dairy development programs.
The introduction of these revolutions has led to an increased use of natural resources hence now sustainable methods of increasing crops and livestock efficiency are also required.
Types of Crops
|Crops that are sown during the monsoon. Example: Paddy, maize||Crops that are sown after the monsoon. Example: Mustard, potato|
Practices used to cultivate crops are called agricultural practices.
|Crop variety improvement||Crop production improvement||Crop protection improvement|
|1. Higher yield||1. Nutrient management||1. Protection in field|
|2. Biotic and Abiotic resistance||
||2. protection during storage|
|3. Improved variety||
|Genetically Modified Crops (GMC)||2. Irrigation||
||3. Cropping patterns|
|4. Wider adeptability||
The organic substances obtained from decomposition of plant and animal wastes.
The chemical substances rich in nutrients.
Difference Between Fertilizer And Manure
|Inorganic salt||Natural substance|
|Chemical substance||Organic substance|
|Prepared in factories||Prepared in fields|
|Does not humidify the soil||Provides humus to the soil|
|Rich in plant nutrients||Less rich in plan nutrients|
In agriculture, animal husbandry is a special field that deals with rising of the livestock in a controlled, selective environment by providing them with the right care so that they can stay healthy and disease free.