CBSE Class 9 Science Syllabus 2023-24
CBSE has released the Latest Updated Syllabus of the New Academic Session 2023-24 on March 31st, 2023, for class 9.
CBSE Board has issued the latest updated syllabus for Class 9th which is to be strictly followed. Board has restored SINGLE BOARD EXAM PATTERN once again like last year 2022-23.
We have also updated Oswal Gurukul Books as per the Latest Paper Pattern prescribed by Board for each Subject Curriculum.
Students can directly access the CBSE Science Syllabus for Class 9 of the academic year 2023-24 by clicking on the link below.
PDF download links to the latest Latest Class 9 Science Syllabus for 2023-24 academic session
Please Click on Download Now
CBSE Science Class 9 Latest Syllabus 2023-24
|I||Matter - Its Nature and Behaviour||25|
|II||Organization in the Living World||22|
|III||Motion, Force and Work||27|
|IV||Food; Food Production||06|
CBSE Class 9 Science Syllabus 2023-24: Unit-wise Summary
Unit I: Matter-Nature and Behaviour
Definition of matter; solid, liquid and gas; characteristics - shape, volume, density; change of state- melting (absorption of heat), freezing, evaporation (cooling by evaporation), condensation, sublimation.
Nature of matter: Elements, compounds and mixtures. Heterogeneous and homogenous mixtures, colloids and suspensions. Physical and chemical changes (excluding separating the components of a mixture).
Particle nature and their basic units: Atoms and molecules, Law of Chemical Combination, Chemical formula of common compounds, Atomic and molecular masses.
Structure of atoms: Electrons, protons and neutrons, Valency, Atomic Number and Mass Number, Isotopes and Isobars.
Theme: The World of the Living
Unit II: Organization in the Living World
Cell - Basic Unit of life : Cell as a basic unit of life; prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells, multicellular organisms; cell membrane and cell wall, cell organelles and cell inclusions; chloroplast, mitochondria, vacuoles, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus; nucleus, chromosomes - basic structure, number.
Tissues, Organs, Organ System, Organism:
Structure and functions of animal and plant tissues (only four types of tissues in animals; Meristematic and Permanent tissues in plants).
Theme: Moving Things, People and Ideas
Unit III: Motion, Force and Work
Motion: Distance and displacement, velocity; uniform and non-uniform motion along a straight line; acceleration, distance-time and velocity-time graphs for uniform motion and uniformly accelerated motion, elementary idea of uniform circular motion.
Force and Newton’s laws : Force and Motion, Newton’s Laws of Motion, Action and Reaction forces, Inertia of a body, Inertia and mass, Momentum, Force and Acceleration.
Gravitation: Gravitation; Universal Law of Gravitation, Force of Gravitation of the earth (gravity), Acceleration due to Gravity; Mass and Weight; Free fall.
Floatation: Thrust and Pressure. Archimedes’ Principle; Buoyancy.
Work, Energy and Power: Work done by a Force, Energy, power; Kinetic and Potential energy; Law of conservation of energy (excluding commercial unit of Energy).
Sound: Nature of sound and its propagation in various media, speed of sound, range of hearing in humans; ultrasound; reflection of sound; echo.
Unit IV: Food Production
Plant and animal breeding and selection for quality improvement and management; Use of fertilizers and manures; Protection from pests and diseases; Organic farming.
Note for the Teachers:
- The chapter Natural Resources (NCERT Chapter 14) will not be assessed in the year-end examination. However, learners may be assigned to read this chapter and encouraged to prepare a brief write up on any concept of this chapter in their Portfolio. This may be for Internal Assessment and credit may be given for Periodic Assessment/Portfolio.
- The NCERT text books present information in boxes across the book. These help students to get conceptual clarity. However, the information in these boxes would not be assessed in the year-end examination.
Practicals should be conducted alongside the concepts taught in theory classes.
(List Of Experiments)
1. Preparation of:
- a true solution of common salt, sugar and alum
- a suspension of soil, chalk powder and fine sand in water
- a colloidal solution of starch in water and egg albumin/milk in water and distinguish between these on the basis of
- filtration criterion
2. Preparation of
- A mixture
- A compound
using iron filings and sulphur powder and distinguishing between these on the basis of:
- appearance, i.e., homogeneity and heterogeneity
- behaviour towards a magnet
- behaviour towards carbon disulphide as a solvent
- effect of heat
3. Perform the following reactions and classify them as physical or chemical changes:
- Iron with copper sulphate solution in water
- Burning of magnesium ribbon in air
- Zinc with dilute sulphuric acid
- Heating of copper sulphate crystals
- Sodium sulphate with barium chloride in the form of their solutions in water
4. Preparation of stained temporary mounts of (a) onion peel, (b) human cheek cells & to record observations and draw their labeled diagrams.
5. Identification of Parenchyma, Collenchyma and Sclerenchyma tissues in plants, striped, smooth and cardiac muscle fibers and nerve cells in animals, from prepared slides. Draw their labeled diagrams.
6. Determination of the melting point of ice and the boiling point of water.
7. Verification of the Laws of reflection of sound.
8. Determination of the density of solid (denser than water) by using a spring balance and a measuring cylinder.
9. Establishing the relation between the loss in weight of a solid when fully immersed in
- Tap water
- Strongly salty water with the weight of water displaced by it by taking at least two different solids.
10. Determination of the speed of a pulse propagated through a stretched string/slinky (helical spring).
11. Verification of the law of conservation of mass in a chemical reaction.
The Changes for Class 9 (2023-24) Year-end Board Examinations are as under:
|Periodic Assessment||Academic Session 2022-23||Academic Session 2023-24|
|Composition of question paper year-end examination/ Board Examination (Theory)||
2022-23 Reduced Syllabus
(for reference purposes only)
Share page on
To download the complete Syllabus (PDF File), Please fill & submit the form below.